Research & Plan
Apply & Enrol
Arrive & Settle
1: Research & Plan
Looking for a place to study? If so, an Alberta school could be an excellent choice. Outstanding programs, an international atmosphere and a beautiful province will make your days in Alberta unforgettable. We explain the best way to put your plan into action here.
Understand and explore our province to ensure it aligns with your educational, recreational and living goals and expectations.
- Top reasons to study in Alberta
- Alberta at a glance
- Explore Alberta's Regions
- Hear from students who selected Alberta as their study destination
Research Schools and Programs
Explore our higher education system, including our schools and the programs offered.
- Explore Alberta's higher education institutions
- Research institutions by program area
- Explore credentials offered
- Talk to an international student advisor
Assess Your Requirements
Make sure you meet the requirements for studying in Alberta, including prior learning assessment and English language requirements.
Plan for Expenses
Research the cost to attend a school in Alberta and the cost of living during your stay.
2: Apply & Enrol
Now that you have made your choice to study at one of Alberta's higher education institutions, you can start the application and enrolment process.
Choose Your Program of Study
Review your institution's program descriptions and identify your top two program choices. Remember to choose a second choice program with a lower competitive admission average than your first choice.
Confirm Admission Requirements
Using your program admission requirements, make sure you meet the requirements for both your first and second choice programs.
Review Application Deadlines
Ensure you review your program's admissions deadlines. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible after applications open in order to improve your chances for admission.
Submit Your Application
ApplyAlberta is a secure online application system that allows students to apply to one or more of Alberta's public colleges, universities and technical institutes through a common starting point and to authorize the transfer of their Alberta high school or post-secondary transcripts.
Finalize Your Admission and Enrol
Please make sure that all documentation is submitted on time so your application can be processed effectively and efficiently. Once you complete and submit your application, the post-secondary institution will contact you directly concerning the status of your application.
Apply for Your Study Permit
Most international students need a study permit to study in Canada. You should apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from the Alberta post-secondary institution.
3: Arrive & Settle
The information in this section is intended to help you prepare for your move to Alberta, adjust to life in a new city and begin your studies at one of Alberta’s higher education institutions.
Arrange Your Study and Travel Documents
Once you confirm with your higher education institution that you accept their offer to study in Alberta, there are a number of student, travel and immigration documents to arrange. We advise you to start this process as early as you can, as the process can sometime take several months.
Book Your Travel to Alberta
Before you board an airplane, there are a number of details you should work out in advance to help make your move to Alberta easier.
- Book your airline tickets
- Buy travel and health insurance
- Check baggage and customs limitations
- Arrange transportation to/from the airport at home and when you arrive (check with your institution, as sometimes they can arrange for someone to pick you up when your flight lands in Alberta)
- Be sure to pack for the weather
Make Your Living Arrangements
When you arrive, we know you will want to explore your new community without delay. Making these arrangements in advance will make your transition easier.
- Arrange for your accommodation in Alberta
- Develop a budget to help you plan for your costs of living
- Arrange your banking—consider buying traveller’s cheques for large denominations, and carrying a smaller amount of cash
Finalize Your Paperwork Before You Leave
Before you leave for Alberta, do a final check of your documentation. Do you have everything you need?
- Confirm your higher education institution has all of the paperwork they need from you, and what they may need to see when you arrive
- Ensure all of your documents are in order and make photocopies to pack in your baggage, to leave at home, and to send to your email address. These documents include:
- Airline tickets
- Travel insurance certificate
- Letter of acceptance for your Canadian educational institution
- Key addresses and phone numbers
- A bank statement showing proof of funds
- Letter of introduction from Canadian immigration, if applicable
- Prescriptions for any medication you are carrying
- Traveller’s cheques, if applicable
- Medical and immunization records
- Academic history and university transcripts
Plan Your Student Experience in Alberta
You have your documents in hand, your travel arranged and your accommodations booked. Here are some other things you will want to consider.
- Learn more about where you will be living and studying
- Sign up for international student orientation at your institution
- Contact your higher education institution with any questions you may have
- Find out how you can explore Alberta while you are here
- Learn about working while you study